6.17.2010

One Month

After one month I finally set up a bank account, with the assistance of Lucas aka Shine aka Avalon Bitch. Poor guy doesn’t even get a break to take a piss, let alone eat. He also helps us research phone plans. Lynn, Shine and I walk from one phone place across the street to another across the street to another to compare non-existent International cell phone plans in the dripping humidity. I can’t take it anymore, I’m about to squander my entire first months pay and purchase the new 4G iphone, or… Giorgio Armani phone, I can’t decide. Instead we just head back to work to do more research on the matter and deal with it later. Turns out, the best deal is to get a cheap Korean plan and use a special code or calling card to call internationally. Or… get a smart phone and download Skype for $5 bucks a month and use that to call home, but then you would have to pay for the smart phone plus an additional fee for Internet. This is what I gather on the phone situation. Tomorrow I will make the purchase and sign the papers. I’ll let you know how it pans out. I guess cell phones are just a pain in the ass all over the world.

As for Internet, it has been one month and I still do not have this wonderful invention available for use within my humble abode. Is it 2010? I don’t care where I am, it’s the Interweb for Christ’s sake, and it goes everywhere. I was blessedly picking up a signal in one spot of my little studio for about two days, but that quickly ended. Internet will come soon though, I am sure of it. One small step at a time.

As for teaching I think I’m settling into and getting used to the routine… or lack there of. I have one particularly troublesome class of boys who I moved around the other day, I think they hated me for it at first. But then they behaved, so I enforced their positive working habits with candy of course, they will do anything for candy and hangman. ADHD Jenna is so cute I can’t stand it, silly Cindy has taken to patting my butt every time I walk by her, or walking her fingers up my back when I am helping another student. I discovered the “HelloKittee” culprit, writing all over the desk in blue permanent marker… Sally. And I can’t forget Kevin’s story about his last birthday where he made sure to thank his mother for “birthing him hard”. Yup. They close school for almost nothing, but tonight the last class of the evening is cancelled due to the World Cup. HUGE thing Here. Go Red Devils!!

Oh and PS- SPAVIS… you gave me my first ever case of the athlete’s foot. I knew you were too good to be true. Don’t worry though, I am taking care of this lovely fungus. For only 5,000 won- ughhh… first medical ish, in Korea. My epidermis always fails me.

1 comment:

  1. pee on your feet in the shower to kill athletes foot

    if shine can get you a phone, he can hook up w/ the internet.

    sean

    ReplyDelete