5.24.2010

And Then...



So... I stumbled upon a public outdoor gym?!? Right next to the playground of course. Gym equipment bolted to the ground. I want to get a plant to welcome Lynn... or, an I Love Drugs tee shirt I found with a skull and cross bones and a little bow on it. I wonder what she would appreciate more.

On Saturday I go into work and for the first time feel somewhat productive there. I tested the new students for placement by asking simple questions and evaluating their conversational speaking ability. I also go out to lunch with all of my Korean co-workers... THAT was an experience. They were all concerned and surprised that I was able to eat the spicy food. They also gave me a fork, I was insulted. I didn't use it. I would have loved to photo document this excursion but considering I had NO IDEA where I was going or what was going on I didn't even have time to grab anything. The food was spicy though. I liked it. Made me sweat.


I made a friend! The guy from the airport, after facebooking back and forth for a while we discover that we live RIGHT next to each other. Weird coincidence. We meet up and he explains the whole public transportation system to me, where the train station is located, where I'M located and the bus and subway stops and where I can find the schedules. Awesome. He ALSO shows me where America is located- in Korea- aka the Osan Airbase (or right outside the gates anyway). I was in awe, all my displaced people, in one spot! But this is good to know about, I was able to obtain an an International phone card, in English, while there. Only $12 bucks for 3 hours and 20 mins, and they prefer the USD. I notice entire families walking around, apparently there is a school inside the base for all the kids.

When I get home I make myself some dumplings then run down to the baby blue pay phones in front of 7/11. So nice to hear voices from home! I am on the phone so long I consider dragging one of the plastic 7/11 chairs over to the booth. But then decide against it, I don't want to draw any more attention to myself, I already am the only foreigner in this town.

3 comments:

  1. um seriously. phone call, displaced persons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jade you are sooo brave. I miss you but I won't miss a day of this blog. I am sad when I get to the end. I am hooked.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete